Search This Blog

Monday, August 16, 2010

The Word "Bleep" Makes it Onto TV!

There is a new TV show called $h*! My Dad Says, pronounced "Bleep" My Dad Says. Sadly, it is not in any way related to my organization Bleep!. It is actually based on a Twitter feed (unfortunately using the actual bad word substituted by "bleep" here). Because it is airing during prime time, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), whose job it is to keep profanity and explicit material from being broadcast at certain times of day, is making sure the show doesn't use bad words. While the Parents Television Council, whose mission is to clean up the media, has protested this show for its title, I disagree. I understand their position, but I think they are overreacting. They don't use the actual word in the title, but an alternative. While it certainly isn't a nice title, I think it's perfectly acceptable.

I don't like William Shatner's attitude towards it, though. Shatner, who is playing the main character on the show, has said, "S**t isn't a terrible term." Oy vey! If he only knew the negative effects people all over the country are attributing to him right now...

No comments:

Post a Comment