Search This Blog

Thursday, January 13, 2011

"She Used a Bathroom Word!"

I was at my friend's house, and her four-year-old brother was hanging out with us. My friend and I were joking around, and I used the word tushy, which I think we all agree is not a bad word. Her younger brother piped in, laughing, "She used a bathroom word!"

We all thought this was hilariously funny (and it really was very cute). My friend's brother had a point, though: I probably shouldn't have said tushy in his presence, since it is considered a bathroom word to four-year-olds. Obviously, it is not a bad word for those of us past preschool, and I must prefer using tushy to the many other vulgar and inappropriate terms out there. However, next time I'm around little ones, I really should think twice before I speak.

1 comment:

  1. If it got a laugh from everyone, then how inappropriate could it have been?! I hope you don't make it a habit being this hard on yourself. The problem with 'thinking twice' before you speak ALL the time is that one becomes hypercritical of oneself and one's spontaneity suffers. That's not good either....

    ReplyDelete